How Should I Address My Boss if He or She Said Something Inappropriate to Me?

No matter what industry you work in, there is always going to be someone who engages in behavior that teeters on the line of what would be considered appropriate and inappropriate conduct. But what happens when they cross that line and do something you know they shouldn’t be doing? What should you do if a coworker sends you emails that carry a sexual context or your boss calls you into his or her office to discuss what you thought was work-related but turns out to be something highly inappropriate?

What then? What do you do and how do you address someone who is head of staffing and has the power to make drastic decisions when they do something that not only makes you uncomfortable, but something you know could be a form of sexual harassment?

While the option to contact a sexual harassment lawyer in Akron, OH is always there, if you’re looking for some tips on how to address the issue on your own, below we offer a few you may find to be helpful.

Tips on How to Address Your Boss Who Has Been Engaging in Inappropriate Behavior

  1. One of the first things you might consider doing is informing your employer orally or in writing that their conduct is unwelcome, offensive, and you need for them to stop [Source: U.S. Department of State]. Now, some might find this difficult to do so you also can report the behavior to your human resources department if you don’t wish to address the issue directly with your boss.
  2. If you find that after speaking to your employer that he or she brushed off your concerns and continues to partake in behavior that is unwelcome or offensive, then it may be time to speak with another supervisor or the person responsible for overseeing the work your boss does. Remember, sexual harassment is “unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature” and it is not permitted in any work field. With that being said, employers sometimes feel as though the rules don’t apply to them which often results in them engaging in behavior that can be classified as sexual harassment. So, if you didn’t report the misconduct before to your human resources department or another supervisor, now might be a good time to do so.
  3. If an employee within the human resources department or another supervisor does not address the issue to your satisfaction, perhaps it would be best for you to consult with a sexual harassment lawyer and find out what they can do for you. They may suggest that you report your boss to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) if the behavior continues or if the act itself was serious in nature.

While there are many attorneys available to help you, you are going to want someone who has a great deal of experience in handling sexual harassment cases and has secured favorable outcomes for their past clients. Ohio sexual harassment attorney F. Benjamin Riek III is one legal expert in the Akron area who has nearly 40 years of experience working on cases dealing with U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) laws and has represented many victims of harassment when they needed his legal expertise. If you would like to find out what The Law Offices of F. Benjamin Riek III can do for you, contact them now at 330-864-8604.


The Law Offices of F. Benjamin Riek III is located at:

755 White Pond Drive, Suite 403
Akron OH 44320
Phone: 330-864-8604

Website: www.ohioemploymentrights.com