The more sexual harassment allegations that come to light, the more empowered individuals who have been victimized feel to come forward with their own complaints. The truth is, this issue has been around for years, however, not much has ever been done to address it, until now. With top celebrities to lawmakers in politics all being called out for their unethical and even illegal behavior, many people no longer fear the repercussions of them using their voice to identify someone in their industry who has engaged in an unwanted sexual act or behavior.

Unfortunately, there still are people out there in the state of Ohio who have yet to come forward which is why we are here to help you identify ways you can report a case of sexual harassment, whether you were the victim or you witnessed the act as it occurred. Below we list who you can file a complaint with so that your sexual harassment claim is handled and not left unaddressed.

  1. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)- If you wish to file a federal charge of sex discrimination against an employer, you can do so with the EEOC. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination and because you may have had to endure this behavior which has affected your work performance, the EEOC is available to listen to your complaint. In 2016, the EEOC received 158 complaints of sexual harassment within the state of Ohio.
  2. Ohio Civil Rights Commission You also have the option of filing charges with the commission as they enforce the state’s anti-discrimination laws. Last year, the commission received 165 charges of sexual harassment, which was an increase of 25 percent from 2016, according to Dayton Daily News.

Dayton Daily Times also highlighted that “the largest number of sex harassment claims came from workers in the accommodation and food services industry, followed by retail trade, manufacturing, and healthcare.” So, anyone can become a victim and everyone should use their voice to recognize an employee or employer who may have displayed inappropriate behavior that had you feeling violated or uncomfortable.

  1. Another way you can report your incident is by informing your employer. If a co-worker or someone else in your place of employment has engaged in an act considered to be a form of sexual harassment, you can report the incident to your boss or an administrator. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this nor are you ready to file a complaint with either of the departments listed above, then consider consulting with a sexual harassment attorney in Ohio.

Ohio sexual harassment and misconduct lawyers have dealt with cases of harassment in the past and are familiar with the various avenues that can be taken to address your complaint. If you aren’t sure what form of action you want to take just yet, at least schedule a consultation with an attorney where you will be informed of the various options you have. If you need some assistance in locating a legal professional in your area, is available and ready to help you.